Life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know wut yer gonna get

Life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know wut yer gonna get

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Strengths and Weaknesses

What am I good at?
What can I do that most other people can or do not?
What is unique about me?
What is easy and natural for me to do?

What am I terrible at?
What do I hate to do?
What is the most comon trait I have?
What is difficult and frustrating for me to do?

I've been doing some self discovery lately. I have always been somewhat introverted, however I have recently felt the need to be good at something. To feel mastery of a skill is wonderful and I need to have that right now. My current job is not a satisying one because of political reasons and I want to do something better with the rest of my life than feeling defeated at the end of every workday.

So...what do I do well? I feel. I feel alot. I am a sensitive person and I think I feel things more deeply and more often than most people. Well, how can anyone make a living doing that?!? Sounds pretty silly. Certainly won't get rich off of emotions.

Of course, being rich is not what I require. I require a certain amount of money to live, however, financial wealth has never been of big importance to me. Spoiled as I am, I just want to do whatever it is that I want to do! For some people that might be excessive, however my desires are pretty simple really. I want to spend time with the people I love. I want to be able to enjoy this world with the people I love. So some travelling is involved.

Some of the things I like to do are - writing, sewing, crocheting, playing with animals, reading, watching movies, gardening, sanding wood ( taking the old skin off and seeing the new skin underneath).

One thing I do at work now that I think I do really well is listen. All the people who I work with like to tell me about their lives. And I listen. And I comment, relate, guide...I nurture. I love to nurture. Even in the career I have chosen (hospitality) I like to be nice to people; to accomodate them, to facilitate them. I like that alot. Most people respond well - and are kind to me in return. Occasionally though, I find a person or persons who will take advantage of that kindness and hurt me with it. So, it is not the safest of ways to be...but overall it is a good thing. I think people learn from me too. My example is contagious.

I think the biggest problem in our world, especially the United Sates, is that children are not nurtured by parents. People are not taught to be kind. Many children have no opportunity to experience feeling nurtured. It is a vicous cycle that will continue to grow if left unchallenged. It is a scary prospect; A world full of selfish unkind people.

I think I can use my strengths, help children and the United States by becoming a Foster Parent. My husband agrees. Since our children are grown we have 3 bedrooms unoccupied. We will be attending a Foster Care Orientation mid October. We will find out more about it. I think this is a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment