Life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know wut yer gonna get

Life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know wut yer gonna get

Saturday, January 2, 2010

I read a couple of books I really liked

They were written by a man named Christopher Morley. "Parnasus on Wheels" was written in 1917 and "The Haunted Bookshop" was written in 1918. Both books contain the same main character. Some of the wording and generational references were unknown to me, so I had to look them up, but most of the language is easy for me to read. The stories are not literary by any means; this simple style makes me feel good.

The main character, Roger Mifflin, is wonderful! I would love to have him as a friend. Small in stature, but large in heart; Roger is a creative, brave, reasonable man. He loves books and many of his friends are found within them. He has built a sort of gypsy cart - like a recreational vehicle that is pulled by Peg, an old mare. He fixed this wagon to sell books from... with flaps on the outside that fold up to expose his library. He buys and sells books in the New England countryside. He calls this van a Parnassus on wheels; a sort of travelling container for the literary muses. He has a terrier dog that travels with him named Boc - and he meets many people and adventure along the way. I wont give away the stories to you, but if you want some feel good reading - these two fill the bill.

Thank you Laura, for giving me "The Haunted Bookshop" for my birthday.

1 comment: