Life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know wut yer gonna get

Life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know wut yer gonna get

Sunday, January 31, 2010

strawberry orange pie

it began with wanting some strawberry flavored no cal jello. i had a small box and boiled 1 1/2 c water, added that to the dry powder and stirred for about 2 minutes, till disolved. I love the flavor of strawberry and orange together, so I added 1/2 cup cold orange juice, stirred well and put my little jello bowl in the fridge. Then I went outside to play in the dirt and weeds and grass with the llama. In about an hour I checked on my little jello bowl and it was about 1/4 set. I started thinking if it would be better with actual berries in it. i had some frozen strawberries in the freezer that were pretty old. they had sugar added and the container was about 2 1/2 cups worth of pinkish gooey yummy strawberry mash. i mixed the two items and it was a beautiful flavor. i remembered that if you add tapioca to fruit it will congeal and i could make a pie. ooh! i like pie. boyd likes pie, let's make a pie. pour in 1/4 cup dry tapioca and let set 15 minutes. okay. how about adding an orange to this concoction. i cut up and peeled (all skins) off one large beautiful orange and added the diced fruit to the mix. Then I made a pie dough. I poured the luscious red goo into the bottom pie pan, covered with a top crust and put it into the 400 degree oven for one hour. Smelled heavenly. Pulled it out just as it was beginning to overflow onto the stove bottom. oops. had to try it hot - don't do it. It is hard, but worth the wait. It is best if you let it cool a bit and then stick it in the refrigerator till the next day. It is the best pie i ever made.
yummy.

1 comment: